Jose Luis MERINO, MD, PhD, FEHRA
Spanish College of Physicians ID: 2828-40189
- Director of the Arrhythmia and EP Robotic Unit at La Paz University Hospital, P. Castellana, 261, 28046, Madrid, Spain
- Honorary professor of cardiology in the Autonoma University, Madrid.
- MD (1988) and PhD degrees (1993, doctoral thesis) at Complutense University, Madrid.
- Residency in Internal Medicine and Cardiology at La Paz University Hospital (1989-1993).
- Further training in Cardiac Arrhythmias and Electrophysiology as a fellow at Gregorio Marañon (Spain, 1993-1995), the Boston Children’s (USA, 1993), and London St George’s (UK, 1994) hospitals.
- Certified (log book and exam) by the Spanish Society of Cardiology as Interventional Electrophysiologist (2004)
- 1995-present: La Paz University Hospital, cardiologist specialist in heart rhythm (Public Health Care)
- 1996- present: Quiron Ruber Juan Bravo University Hospital, cardiologist specialist in heart rhythm (Private Health Care)
- 1993-1995: Gregorio Marañón Hospital, Electrophysiology Fellow
- 1993: Children’s Hosp., Harvard Univ, Boston, USA, Electrophysiology Fellow
- 1989-1993: La Paz University Hospital, Cardiology Fellow
Scientific Societies Involvement:
European Heart Rhythm Association Board (EHRA)
- President Elect (2020-2022)
- Secretary (2018-2020)
- Chairperson of the Education Committee. (2015-2018)
- Member of the Selection Committee. (2017-2018)
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the EHRA-Europace Congresses 2007, 2009, 2011, 2018, 2019.
- Chairperson of the Training Fellowships Committee. (2011-2015)
- EHRA White Book Coordinator (2011)
- Member of the National Societies Committee. (2009-2011)
- Member of the Scientific Initiatives Committee. (2007-2009)
- Main author of the EHRA Core Curriculum for the Heart Rhythm Specialist (2009)
- Chairperson of the Certification Committee on EP and PM/ICDs. (2005-2007).
- Co-Chairperson of the Task Force on EP and Pacing Certification. (2003-2005).
- Fellow of EHRA (FEHRA) (2016-present)
European Society of Cardiology (ESC)
- Member of the ESC Task Force on Live Events (2018-present)
- Member of the ESC Education Committee (2016-2018)
- Member of the Task force for Subspecialty Accreditation within Cardiology of the EBSC. (2003-2007)
Spanish Society of Cardiology
- Chairperson of the Accreditation Committee on Electrophysiology. (2007-2010).
- President of the Working Group on Electrophysiology & Arrhythmias. (2003-2006).
- Secretary of the Working Group on Electrophysiology & Arrhythmias. (2000-2003).
Honorary member of the LatinoAmerican Heart Rhythm Society (LAHRS), the Argentinian Society of Cardiology (SAC), The Argentinian Society of Cardiac Electrophysiology (SADEC) and regular lecturer in major Latinoamerican scientific events.
- Main research interest:
1. Electrophysiology and ablation of atrial and ventricular arrhythmias, with special interest on bundle-branch re-entry, left atrial flutter, ischemic VT and AF. 2. 3D-electroanatomical mapping systems. 3. Remote navigation systems (Magnetecs and Amigo systems). 4. ICDs. 5. New antiarrhythmic and anticoagulants.
- More than 150 articles published in indexed journals, such as the New England Journal of Medicine, Lancet, European Heart Journal, or Circulation.
- Editor of 12 books and author of more than 40 books chapters on HR disorders including participation in the ESC Textbook of Cardiovascular Medicine (3rd ed)
- More than 400 contributions as congress abstracts in major cardiology and HR congresses.
- Steering committee member (5), national coordinator and PI (>25) of international randomized multicentre trials.
- Good Clinical Practice training and certification:
-July 2015: “Minimum Criteria for ICH E6 GCP Investigator Site Personnel Training,” identified by TransCelerate BioPharma, Inc.,
- March 2019: “Good Clinical Practice: A Review of ICH E6, Revision 2 Changes for Site Personnel Working on Clinical Research Studies (Version 1.0, JANUARY-2018)”
- Director of 4 PhD thesis
- External advisor of European Medical Agency (EMA).
- Director of several educational courses including the EHRA EP Exam preparatory course (3 eds) and the “AF Madrid” Symposium (8 eds).